Friday, July 16, 2010

Check yourself before you wreck yourself

Abbie and I adopted Archie about 4 months ago.


We got him from a foster home near Miami.
We ended up having to pay more money than we anticipated, with crates, baby gates (that he chewed through), adoption fees, flea medications and such.
Because of these upfront fees- we failed to take him to the vet when we first got him.
No excuse I know- but that was our rationale at the time.

Fast forward to this week
We finally took him to the vet and found he had heartworms.

I was devastated.
Although curable, heartworms are very very very bad for dogs.
Treatment includes a medicine with arsenic as its main ingredient.

(Bunkie tested negative we are pretty sure that Archie was not given heart worm meds when he was living in mosquito-infested-Miami)
(Bunkie at the vet- she loves it there)

We picked up Archie from his first round of treatment last night. He was/is so lethargic it breaks my heart. I actually had to pick him up and carry him into the house today on our walk.

(this was Archie all night)

All of this made me realize how important it is to not only take better care of our fur babies- but of ourselves as well.  I had braces not too long ago and I swore that when I got them off I would take care of my teeth religiously. I MAYBE floss once a week (sorry is that gross?) Mitch feels my pain.

Jokes.com
Mitch Hedberg - Flossing
comedians.comedycentral.com
Futurama New EpisodesIt's Always Sunny in PhiladelphiaRussell Simmons Stand-Up Comedy


It's as hard to quit smoking as it is to start flossing.

And I haven’t been to the dermatologist for my annual skin exam (skin cancer check) in 2 years.  I do not even have a regular doctor!

So, on my lunch break today, I set up appointments to have my teeth cleaned and body checked.
It’s so easy to think that something won’t happen to you- but I’m sure everyone that has had some sort of illness had it come as a surprise. Also, my food consumption has been out of control. I think I had about 7 veggies this whole week. Time, once again, to get back on track and get serious about my health.

1 comment: